What You Need To Konw About Getting a Toll Free Telephone Number
1. What is a toll free telephone number?
A toll-free telephone number is a special kind of phone number that, as the name implies, is free for the caller. The business or person who owns the number pays the charges for all incoming calls instead of the caller. They’re easy to spot, as they typically start with a three-digit code like 800, 888, 877, 866, 855, 844, or 833 in the U.S.A.
2. What are the benefits of getting a toll free telephone number?
- Customer-Friendly: Since callers aren’t charged for calling a toll-free number, it makes it easier for customers to reach you, ask queries, or make purchases. This makes your business appear more customer-friendly.
- Professionalism: Having a toll free telephone number can lend your business a professional, established image, which can be crucial when you’re just starting and trying to build credibility.
- National Presence: Toll free phone numbers are not tied to a specific city or geographic area, implying your business operates nationally, even if you’re a small local shop.
- Memorable: Toll free numbers can be set up as vanity numbers (like 1-800-FLOWERS), making them easier for your customers to remember.
- Marketing Data: Call details (like duration, location of caller, etc.) can offer valuable insights for marketing purposes.
4. What features do toll free telephone numbers include?
Features can vary based on the provider, but here are some common ones:
- Call Forwarding: Redirect incoming calls to any number you choose.
- Voicemail and Voicemail-to-Email: Capture messages from callers and receive them as an audio file in your email.
- Call Recording: For quality control and training purposes.
- Auto-Attendant: An automated system that answers and routes inbound calls.
- Call Analytics: Track data on your incoming calls for better business decisions.
5. How much do toll free telephone numbers cost?
The cost of a toll-free number can significantly vary depending on your provider, your call volume, and any additional services you use. You might pay around $10-$30 per month for a basic number with low call volume. As your needs and call volume grow, the cost can increase.
6. How do you set up a toll free telephone number?
Setting up a toll free phone number is generally a simple process:
- Choose a Provider: Find a reputable provider who offers the features you need at a price point that fits your budget.
- Pick a Number: Some providers let you choose your number. If you want a vanity number (like 1-800-PIZZA), check to see if it’s available.
- Configure Settings: Set up call forwarding, voicemail, and any other features you need.
- Test: Always test your number to ensure it works before giving it to customers.
Remember, as a small business owner. It’s essential to continually assess whether your current setup meets your business’s and customers’ evolving needs. A toll-free number could be a fantastic tool for enhancing your business’s professional image and making it easy for customers to reach you.